Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Composers, composers.......

To the vast hordes of non-learners of Carnatic music, and sadly, even to some learners, "composers" as a term generally refers to the musical Trinity, and a select few others. To be frank, that was the case with me as well till about two years ago, when I began exploring lesser known composers. And stumbled upon a mine!
It took me another year to realise that these were not really lesser known composers, it was just a question of my own ignorance. A humbling, educational experience!
Among the composers I "discovered" were Subbaraya Sastri and Annaswamy Sastri, both descendants of Sri. Shyama Sastry, eldest of the musical trinity. In particular, the compositions of Subbaraya Sastri interested me, and though I did not learn many, I collected a number of his works from books on the subject, chiefly from Smt. Vidya Shankar's book on his compositions.
Anyway, getting back to where I began, I can perhaps answer my own statemnt-question: the very fact that the Trinity continue till date to hold their sway over all other composers of calibre explains why they do!

4 Comments:

Blogger Musical Scientist said...

What about tamizh composers RR? How about koteeshwara iyer,papanasam sivan,gopalakrishna bharathi etc? I am sure many of their krithis appeal a lot to you too!!esp..namba tamizh vera illaya :)

3:46 PM  
Blogger Ramaa said...

True, Sai, but though we may love Tamizh, and I for one will probably never be as comfortable in any other language, I still think the Trinity esp DIkshithar, were shtud_max. :)

1:27 AM  
Blogger Musical Scientist said...

No denying that fact pa..abs agreed RR ;) (Shtud_max^(1/0))

5:51 AM  
Blogger Ramaa said...

shtud_max^(1/0)!! haha!
neat_max :D

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home